Saturday, March 25, 2017

Why Adoptees are Needed to Testify for OBC Access

I've gotten to know the Capitol fairly well, and in my travels through its halls I meet mostly supporters of OBC access. I think it is fairly accurate to say we have "overwhelming support" in the Capitol. However, I still meet a few who "do not see the need." That is personally why I go. To be seen. And heard. As I am no longer a child.

What opponents say to me as an adult adoptee regarding my rights to my information.

Nothing.

They say nothing.

Nothing that acknowledges that I am a voting, autonomous adult. They refer to me as "the adopted child," if they refer to me at all. I am unseen in the equation. I did not pay money to sit at the adoption table. I did not empower someone else to become a parent. I have no signature on the contract. I am to remain silent and be grateful that it "all worked out for the best."

They say nothing about our lack of family medical history, or that the state created, current systems in place are inadequate and daunting. They say nothing about how not only do we not have our family medical history but neither do our offspring. They do not speak to my anxiety as a dating person, not knowing who I am related to or growing up without accurate or ANY ethnicity information.

They say nothing to me, the adoptee.

Birth parents need to testify because people are speaking for them. In the case of adoptees, no one is even bothering to speak for us....we are not even part of the narrative. Opponents are not even bothering to co-opt our voice in this issue. We are children. We are not to challenge the system. According to our opponents, any and all information can only come to us from the parents, no matter how old we are. Our birth certificate is not for us to be handled without permission.

The opponents will be there Monday, and their dismissal of us, of adult adoptees will be seen by those who are in support. This is perhaps one of the most powerful aspects of this hearing. To see who is moved by our stories and who is not, and for others to see that, too. If you support, come lend your voice or vote to this process.

**The State Affairs hearing regarding OBC access is Monday, March 27, 2017 9 am at the Texas State Capitol in Austin in the Senate Chambers. Affordable parking can be found at the Capitol Visitors Parking Garage, a half block from the Capitol Building. When you enter you can ask for directions or stop by the visitors desk and grab a map. They can also give you directions. The bill order is not announced until the morning of, so we do not know what exact time the bill will be heard. Look for the group dressed in bright blue, either in the Gallery or Chamber depending on schedule, if you want support. We will be giving testimony and providing support to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment