Friday, July 13, 2018

Adoptees Always Needed to Represent at the Capitol

I've gotten to know the Capitol fairly well, and in my travels through its halls I meet mostly supporters of OBC access. I think it is fairly accurate to say we have "overwhelming support" in the Capitol. Young people, people who respect personal autonomy, and those who are for honesty in government are especially supportive. However, I still meet a few who "do not see the need." That is personally why I go. To be seen. And heard. As I am no longer a child.

What opponents say to me as an adult adoptee regarding my rights to my information:

Nothing.

They say nothing.

Nothing that acknowledges that I am a voting, autonomous adult. They refer to me as "the adopted child," if they refer to me at all. I am unseen in the equation. I did not pay money to sit at the adoption table. I did not empower someone else to become a parent. I have no signature on a contract. I am to remain silent and be grateful that it "all worked out for the best," and ask no further questions.

They say nothing about our lack of family medical history, or that the state-created, current systems are inadequate and daunting. They say nothing about how not only do we not have our family medical history, but neither do our offspring. Our children are burdened as we are with inadequate information to provide to doctors.

They refuse to speak to my anxiety as a dating person, not knowing who I am related to in my community and whether I am dating a cousin....or closer. They find no problem with the law excluding me from an accurate or often ANY ethnicity information. Who am I really? They don't care that I want to know, that I need to know.

They say nothing to me. The adoptee. The perpetual child.

Birth parents need to testify because people are speaking for them. Adoptive parents need to testify because the assumption is they don't support. In the case of adoptees, no one is even bothering to speak for us....we are not even part of the narrative. Opponents are not even bothering to co-opt our voice on this issue. We are children. We are not to challenge the system. According to our opponents, any and all information can only come to us from the parents, no matter how old we are. Our birth certificate is not for us, not to be handled by us without special, whimsical permission, which my or may not be granted.

The few opponents will be there each session, and their dismissal of us-of adult adoptees, will be seen by those who are in support. This is perhaps one of the most powerful aspects of showing up. To see who is moved by our stories and who is not, and for others to see that, too. If you support, come lend your voice next session.


No comments:

Post a Comment