Thursday, February 7, 2013

What's Right for Me


My kids no longer depend on me for wiping noses or doing their laundry.  Why am I still a stay-at-home-mom?

For some women, working full-time is not a choice. Or, it’s a choice to stay sane.  For me, full-time work and being a mom is not an option. My decision to “stay home” isn't about making a statement. It comes from an acceptance of my workaholic personality, knowing my marriage, and a commitment I made 14 years ago. 

While working, I traveled, made money, advanced. Pressures and long hours dominated. I loved it -using my expertise and degree… I put my career above all.

 There are external (and internal) pressures to jump back in the fray. Tempting? Yes! However, 3-5 pm is magical. They climb into the car; spotlight on each one, and tell me everything. They know I am listening. They know I’m there. I’m not ready to give that up.

By 6 pm, their hard drive is wiped and reset for the next day.

I’m doing what I said I would; suspending my life while witnessing theirs. 

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! But I would not say 3-5 pm, I would say, 3-9 pm! You give the impression that you are only with your kids for 2 hours a day. Also when I was a teacher, I was preparing 'round the clock. I wonder how I will go back and give the children the attention they need a the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. My job was not limited to certain hours of the day. It was around the clock, on call for any emergencies (as it is for parenting!).

      Delete